9.10.2010

Spellset: Level 85

I can't speak from experience, but from what I hear, the Blue Magic arsenal continues to get better. In light of that fact, I've already started to consider what might be a good "full time" spell set. Here's what I came up with:

Traits:
  • Plasma Charge (Auto Refresh)
  • Actinic Burst (Auto Refresh)
  • Zephyr Mantle (Conserve MP)
  • Chaotic Eye (Conserve MP)
  • Acrid Stream (Double Attack)
  • Demoralizing Roar (Double Attack)
  • Vanity Dive (Accuracy Bonus)
Damage
  • Disseverment (Accuracy Bonus)
  • Goblin Rush (Skillchain Bonus)
  • Quadratic Continuum (Dual Wield)
Support
  • Plenilune Embrace
  • Animating Wail (Dual Wield)
  • Battery Charge
  • Fantod
Misc.
  • Head Butt
  • Benthic Typhoon (Skillchain Bonus)
  • Final Sting
Total Points: 55

I'm glad I invested in Assimilation, because there really are a lot of fun spells/traits to grab now; if I could fit Zanshin, I would get it too. As you can see, there aren't many magic spells here, which is a shame considering how many MAB-enhancing spells we keep getting. At the moment, the plethora of DD and self-support magic is taking the cake for me. I do hope, however, that SE adds some more pertinent debuffs, especially a potent new Aspir spell. Magic Hammer is only situationally useful and MP Drainkiss is far too erratic.

I cut out Frenetic Rip to save myself a point, but I may sub it back in for Vanity Dive if I find the damage is still worth the MP cost. Disseverment continues to be invaluable due to its piercing damage and 5 minute Poison II effect. Even if Goblin Rush and Quad. Continuum are stronger and have fewer hits, Disseverment's DoT effect alone makes it highly useful, especially since other mages rarely use Poison II.

At the moment, it may seem attractive to invest in Enchainment over Convergence, but I have my doubts. Efflux may not be the last Job Ability SE adds, and the way they keep pushing MAB boosts on BLU, I would be surprised if we didn't see some better nukes soon. Their track record hasn't been the best, but they're also responding relatively quickly to player expectations.

One last note: Breath Spells are here to stay. Since they do not cap, they only continue to get stronger and more MP Efficient as your level increases. Additionally, SE has added new "enhances breath damage" and HP+ pieces in the last 2 updates, and HP Boosts are relatively easy to obtain. By comparison, Cannonball will eventually cap, so Blue Mages everywhere may want to consider ditching their Cannonball sets.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like triumphant roar for the +3str. Magic barrier+Metallic body=mp boost but i don't usually set unless i'll be working with shadows a lot (and tanking). Add whirl of rage to your final sting for Zanshin JA (not sure if worth the points but in going the direction of double attack, makes sense) with +2str/dex. We have too many great spells finally!

Eremes said...

I would definitely love Zanshin, but there's just so many great new spells I just can't seem to fit it. Same with TR. I would usually set TR at 75 unless I wanted to be a trait whore. Sometimes, I would prefer MAB and Fast Cast for various reasons. :3