4.30.2010

Alpha Test Date 4/29

What news do I have to unload. Oh, so I'm 0/4 on Sim now, but we managed to get the Damascus Ingot (5%) drop instead. Awesome. Soon it's going to be out of my time zone, so I suspect I'm never going to have enhanced speed on THF. :3

And before I continue, rofl.

As for the much anticipated FFXIV Alpha test date, it was today. Yap. I didn't actually get to play it, but I did get to experience it vicariously through my close friend (whose PC can actually run it). Apparently, the Alpha server is really crummy. Takes ages to log in and when you are logged in, another player on your screen will almost freeze your computer.

The character maker is limited at the moment and apparently really confusing. We made an ash-grey Seewolf purely by accident after a half-hour of messing with the thing. While the world is vast and pretty, a lot of elements are lifted right out of FFXI, right down the to the guild logos and elemental icons. The NPCs don't have names, but rather go by cheeky, sarcastic epithets. My favorite is the Lalafell, "Muscle-bound Deckhand."

The HUD is largely customizable, with a semi-transparent chat log with separate tabs for chat and battle. The HP and MP bar can be moved freely about the screen. Speaking of, level 1 players have gotten a significant stat increase compared to their FFXI counterparts. 200HP/100MP at level 1 suggests we might be seeing a higher variable incarnation this time around, with 9999 damage cap or higher. Also, auto-attack does not exist in FFXIV and probably will not be implemented.

Finally, it appears crafting has returned in full force, but rather than the skill up system in FFXI, every single synth appears to generate "synthesis points," which count toward your synthesis level. In a way, that sounds like a vast improvement over FFXI's crafting system; as least now you know just how many Red Curries you need to make to get to 100.

That's all for this test date. Hopefully we'll get a chance to do more next time.

P.s. Forgive my shoddy screenshots. My cameraman is lazy.

No comments: